Did You Know…
- 83% of people believe their teeth are more important to their appearance than hair and eyes according to a survey conducted by Roper ASW in conjunction with ReachMax.
- US consumers spend $100 Billion a year on hair care products and only $50 Billion a year on dentistry. Women spend more money on mascara than any other makeup. What good is great hair and eyes without a great smile and healthy teeth?
- A toothpick is the object most often choked on by Americans
- Smile enhanced procedures outnumbered eyelid surgeries 5 to 1 according to Money Magazine.
- The average woman smiles about 62 times a day! A man? Only 8! Kids laugh around 400 times a day. Grown-ups just 15 and Smilers in school yearbooks are more likely to have successful careers and marriages than poker faced peers.
- 3 cans of soda a day – the number of sodas that increase tooth decay by 62%; 10 to 12 – the number of teaspoons of sugar in an average 12 oz. soda. The average American consumes over 600 cans of soda a year! What happens to your health if you drink 10 cans of soda a day for 1 month? Read this…
- Every year, kids in North America spend close to half a billion dollars on chewing gum
- 45-70 seconds is the amount of time most people brush a day. Time to spend a little more time brushing, don’t you think?
- 18 yards – the amount of floss bought each year per person. 122 yards – the amount of floss that should be bought each year or 1 foot a day.
The holiday season is upon us again. Where did the year go? At Affiliated Orthodontics we would like to share some stocking stuffer ideas to consider for patients of all ages wearing braces. Instead of candy and sweets that can bend wires and knock off brackets during holiday festivities, give something more suitable to make your season bright.
- Colgate Wisps for those on the go. Wisps are disposable mini-toothbrushes with a breath-freshening bead that allows you to have a clean, fresh mouth without water or rinsing.
- Playing cards and card games
- Fun pens, markers, and note paper
- Comic books, puzzle books, or magazines
- For the ladies – Festive nail polish, or for teens and adults, the latest in jamberry nail or Incoco nail design wraps that are easy to apply, don’t chip easily, and last up to two weeks!
- Cash or prepaid debit card
- Movie or concert tickets
- Scratch off lottery tickets.
- Gift cards
- For the kids; include a letter from Santa thanking them for avoiding the hard and sticky foods they love so much throughout the year that damage braces and create extra trips to the orthodontist you like to avoid.
Happy Holidays to everyone! If you have a stocking stuffer idea you would like to share, leave a comment below. We would love to hear from you.
Thanksgiving is celebrated with feasts and football games and the start of the Christmas shopping season, Thanksgiving means roasted turkey, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, and green bean casserole with Campbells mushroom soup. No matter how you celebrate this momentous day, at Affiliated Orthodontics, we want you to know we are thankful for all our wonderful patients we treat throughout the year . We wouldn’t be here without you! To commemorate this traditional holiday, we would like to share some fun Thanksgiving trivia we thought you would enjoy! Feel free to add some fun facts of your own in the comment area.
- Thanksgiving was not declared a National Holiday by Congress until 1941
- The first Thanksgiving was celebrated by the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag tribe Native Americans in 1621 and lasted for 3 days.
- At the original Thanksgiving, there was no milk, cheese, bread, butter, mashed potatoes, corn or pumpkin pie.
- The presenting of the live turkey to the President has been a tradition since 1947. The President then pardons the turkey, allowing it to live out its remaining years on a farm.
- Thanksgiving is also celebrated in Canada- on the second Monday in October.
- Abraham Lincoln chose the last Thursday in November for Thanksgiving